1. Use the Internet: When it comes to researching car rental options in Ireland, the internet provides the best place to review your options. Car rental websites also offer secure online booking and list numbers you can ring if you prefer to book by phone.
2. Choose the Right Class of Car: Although the smallest car might be the most affordable and easiest to maneuver on a tiny Irish road, the vehicle you choose must accommodate the driver, passengers, and everyone’s luggage. Use the vehicle profiles listed on car rental company’s website to determine the right size.
3. Know Your Dates: Double-check your arrival and departure dates. Don’t make the mistake of booking a day early because you forgot to account for an overnight flight.
4. Book Early: In general, it is a good idea to start reviewing car rental prices as soon as you know your dates of travel to Ireland. Waiting until the last minute rarely gets you a better price. Check which car rental companies offers fully inclusive rates to get the best overall prices.
5. Know Your Credit Card Benefits: Some credit cards do not charge international transaction fees. This feature can save you money on every euro or pound you spend.
6. Decide on Your Transmission: Manual transmission (stick-shift) is more common in Ireland, so if you feel more comfortable in an automatic, be sure you select that option when you book. Realize that automatic transmission normally costs more than manual.
7. Consider a Sat Nav: Satellite Navigation or GPS devices can help you reach your destination… or at least assure your headed in the right direction. Consider adding Sat Nav to your rental.
8. Order A Child Seat: Baby seats and child booster seats can be added to your rental, so there’s no need to lug these cumbersome items while you travel.
9. Choose the Right Insurance: Many people carry credit cards that cover car rental insurance when they travel. If you’re using your card’s insurance, be sure you understand the terms of their service. Also note that Ireland is frequently excluded from this type of insurance coverage, get confirmation from your credit card company in writing before you book.
10. Write or Call with Questions: Car rental companies are very familiar with the questions travelers ask and would prefer you call them ahead of time to make sure everything is just right with your booking.